The coronavirus has black people really serious about lifestyle changes. Hand sanitizers are all over my mother’s house. My friends aren’t shaking hands anymore, just elbow bumps. I know some people who are even staying home from work (that has nothing to do with coronavirus but whatever). How concerned should we be?
The coronavirus is a flu-like disease that is causing mass paranoia. Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death. There have been almost 5,000 deaths worldwide to date.
Let’s see if we can keep that same energy for the real epidemic that is facing our community. Obesity is a bigger health care crisis than opioids, than the coronavirus, than hand gun, than anything. Eating too much food and not exercising is behind type 2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. Obesity related diseases account for more than 18% of the deaths around the U.S. The group that is affected the highest by going to a drive thru and not going to the gym is black women.
- African American women have the highest rates of being overweight or obese compared to other groups in the U.S. About four out of five African American women are overweight or obese.
- African Americans are 1.4 times as likely to be obese as non- Hispanic whites.
- African American women are 60% more likely to be obese than non-Hispanic white women.
- African American girls were 50% more likely to be overweight than non-Hispanic white girls.
- If a restaurant has a drive-thru don’t eat there. If you are not willing to get out the car then you don’t need that food.
- All portion sizes are designed for men, so if you order at a restaurant only eat half of your plate
- Find an exercise friend, the same way you won’t go to a night club alone, don’t go to the gym alone. If a guy wants to really shoot his shot he has to do it while working out.
- Tell yourself, “You are not hungry girl, you are just dehydrated”. You probably have never been hungry in your life. Drink some water and wait 30 minutes, most hunger pains are just cramps from your body wanting water.